[SunRescue] RE: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #961 - 13 msgs

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 18 17:09:37 CST 2001

On Sunday, February 18, 2001 1:07 PM, "tadghe at surf-ici.com"
<tadghe at surf-ici.com>
wrote ...

> [snip background of author and of his IPX]

> With that in mind, would it be good to leave/Put Solaris on the box?
> My intent is to both learn a bit more and use the box as a tiny Web/Samba
> Server if possible.

For a year or so, I ran an IPX for those duties, as well as time server,
caching DNS server, and outgoing mail server.  It did 'em fine, and I used
it as a workstation sometimes, too.  I've since upgraded those same services
to an LX, but I'm not sure it was worth the bother.  Workstation performance
is a bit better, but it's not a Big Deal.  The LX swaps less, since it has
twice the memory of the IPX I had, but it's hard to tell for most of those
server apps.  The only drawbacks I can see to the IPX is that the normal 64
meg max RAM is a bit old-fashioned, and it's not a supported architecture
under Solaris 8.

-Shel