[SunRescue] Update on my first Sun box

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 17 15:58:22 CST 2001

My advice, unless you have a good reason to retain Solaris on
the box, almost anything will be more satisfying (IMHO). I say
this only because of all possible OS choices, Solaris will have
the greatest memory demands, the fewest "included" applications
you may want to run, and performance will be the slowest on
hardware of this vintage.

There are many choices, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Linux (Debian, Red
Hat, others?). All are nice, and are well supported with
included applications, etc.

This machine will show it's age, but it will be very serviceable
in the role you describe (tiny Samba/Web server). Also, as time
goes on, you will be tempted to upgrade to a "faster" machine,
espescially when you see prices go lower and lower - take my
advice, do not even consider upgrading to anything other than
(at a minimum) an SS/5 110 MHz or faster machine. Anything less
will not "feel" that much faster. Of course, a detour through a
faster SS/20 would be a good choice, on your way to an Ultra
box, but that is hundreds of dollars away from your current
setup.

HTH,

Ken