[SunRescue] scsi cable order

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 15 13:48:57 CST 2001

This is interesting. I was not familiar with this. It seems that whether
they are sun boxes or not, a similar logic might apply to device ordering.

My intuition would say put a scsi 1 device at the end as it has the least
restrictive cable length requirements and work backwards from that. But,
isn't the bus arbitrated to the least common denominator? If you have an
ultra scsi3 device on a bus with a scsi 1 device, does that mean you can
relax to scsi 1 cable length requirements for all devices?

Also it would seem counterproductive to put a wide device farther out the
chain than a narrow device, since the 8 wide bits /should/ have been
terminated at the narrow device. But again, if bus falls back to the lowest
common denominator, I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Anyway I'm interested in learning more about this.

Google terms: sun scsi device order
didn't turn up anything yet. Do you know of any online resources?

Thanks a bunch!

Jeffrey