[SunRescue] scsi cable order

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 15 11:14:19 CST 2001

Good advice about termination.

Sometimes it is worth it to check if an external box is terminated
internally with a jumper on the drive's circuit board, an internal
terminator or a termination switch somewhere on the case. I've seen that be
a problem.

Put that device at the end obviously, or remove the jumper or other source
of termination and just use an external terminator on the plug on the case.

Also, the magical nature of scsi can make things "just not work" as well as
"just work". The order of cables and devices /can/ make the difference. Seen
it myself, mmmmmm.

Unfortunately with three external boxes and three cables to work with you
have 36 possible configurations. The good news is most of them will probably
work.

jcarver wrote:

> The order of the boxes isn't important. Make sure that the
> address number in the window on the back of the external
> device has not changed, i.e. CD is still @ 6, etc. and make sure
> that the terminator is installed on the last box in the chain. I am
> assuming that these are all Sun boxes that have an internal device
> terminated.

I can't remember if the IPX needs the internal drive terminated or not. From
what I understand the ss2's drives are on the bus with 'stubs' and don't
need to be terminated.