[SunRescue] need 802.11b wireless access point recommendations

bobk rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 14 16:30:04 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Should just "work" - you will need to make sure all the cards
> have the same "pass code" (or whatever they call it - the
> clear-text "security" passage), and the Access Point will need
> to have a single channel choosen (the portable cards will find
> it and hook up).

MAKE SURE that the cards & access point you acquire all have the same type
of Spread Spectrum. DSSS is incompatible with FHSS! Most cards are DSSS
these days.

I'd also suggest NOT running DHCP, as you may get unwanted intruders on
your network (sometimes by accident - I've seen it happen). If using NAT,
assign IP addresses out of 172.16 (so many people are using 10.x.x.x and
192.68.x.x these days). Of course if  you are so far out in the boonies
that there are no other techies around, you may ignore this advice. But
here in Cambridge, MA, I have detected well over 100 other 802.11
networks!

If you are in a well-populated area and aren't getting the speed you think
you should, I'd suggest playing around with different channels.

Locate your access point high up on the wall, or on the ceiling. Keep in
mind that the antenna needs to be properly oriented (with a vertical
antenna, if you turn it horizonal, signal strength will diminish...unless
you turn the other end horizontal too.)

Well, have fun.....