[SunRescue] Heat problems

C Sorensen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 14 13:40:43 CST 2001

I've lived in Tucson, Las Vegas, Honolulu in Australia and in the UK and
have had to deal with the heat problem and the cold problem in all areas. I
live in Los Angeles now. Basically, you need to put as many fans as possible
into each computer at lest 2 sometimes 3 to keep the airflow going. I've
noticed when the computers software/hardware isn't configured properly, the
hard drives can be as much as 20 degrees hotter than a not perfectly
configured drive. If your computer room is that hot, I doubt if your
insulation is that bad. My house has crap insulation here in LA and the
computer room doesn't even get above 70 during the winter (45-65 average
temps, 63 degrees in the room). I have the ceiling fan and some clamp on
fans pointing at the heat mongers. They make a turbo floor fan which is very
powerful you could use to extract the air. Put the fan in the doorway of the
computer room, point it down the hall to extract the hot air out. Shut off
any monitors you're not using or invest in a keyboard monitor switch or go
headless. Monitors are the biggest heat makers in the computer world. I have
a great supermac monitor that has exhaust fans built in it to cool it off.

You could fabricate an exhaust tube out of clothes dryer hose from the local
builder supply and then attach that to the window fans for output if you'd
like me to sketch out the way mine works email me or I can fax it.

Cliff
Director of Technology
e-HQ.com