[SunRescue] Re: SS2 running headless

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 13:07:41 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Eli Bottrell wrote:

> It really depends on the mission of the box. I have mail servers that while they
> have secondary (and equal prefrence) mx, I still could have mail that is in the
> queue, and it needs to get delivered. Only problem is that the machines are in
> San Jose and Boston, so it's not so easy. And anyone who has ever tried to get an
> Exodus NOC monkey to log into your box and tell you what is happening knows as
> well as I do that it's just a headache.
>
> Basically, if you care about your box being up 24/7, a serial console will do you
> a world of good. Period. It's just one less step you have to go through to see
> what's wrong with the box.
>
> By the way, what do people use for network accessable serial terminals? We use
> DEC terminal servers in our data centers, and I'm messing with a Port Master 2
> for the server room in this building.

I'm using a Netblazer STI (34 (heh) port) jobbie in the machine room at
the office...  works pretty nicely for what's basically a whacked-out 486,
except that there doesn't seem to be any way to make the damn thing
transmit a break over a serial line...

It does have the nice plus of being able to set a TCP port to be directly
connected to serial line if you telnet to it...

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown