[SunRescue] Re: SS2 running headless

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 19:25:23 CST 2001

ebottrell at lycos-inc.com writes:

>Basically, if you care about your box being up 24/7, a serial console will do you
>a world of good. Period. It's just one less step you have to go through to see
>what's wrong with the box.

It's insane not to have a few text terminals kicking around. Generally
they don't need to be hooked up to your console ports all the time, but
you should have one nearby in case something goes weird.

>By the way, what do people use for network accessable serial terminals? We use
>DEC terminal servers in our data centers, and I'm messing with a Port Master 2
>for the server room in this building.

I have a 64-port netblazer I've been meaning to hook up to the console
ports of my suns, but just haven't gotten around to it. (No, I have
nowhere near 64 suns, I just happened to luck out on a killer terminal
server.)

--- david fischer --- dave at cca.org --- www.cca.org -----------------------