[SunRescue] Ultra1

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 16:27:31 CST 2001

>   Of course it's not supported.  Not much other than "we sold it this
> way" configs are.  The poeple that seem to know the least about Sun
> hardware are Sun employees themselves.

According to the FE handbook, the following are supported:

-TurboGX 8-Bit Color Frame Buffer
 ->501-2325
 ->501-2922

-TurboGXplus 8-Bit Color Frame Buffer
 ->501-2253
 ->501-2955

As for why Sun only supports certain configs - If you've been a part of
any company producing complex products, you'd know that it's expensive as
hell to test every combination.  I assume Sun does what most would - they
test what's current at the time the system is released, and ends it there.
The older CG6-series Sbus cards were no longer in production when the U1
was released (the TGX/TGX+ were), so why test and certify them, especially
since the TGX series was just a beefed-up CG6...

Also, according the FE book, sometimes the fcode on a specific card (like
some revs of SCSI cards) isn't happy with the newer systems.

As for your rather sweeping statment about Sun employees, I've met a few
that would surprise you with how much they know about the products.  I
know an RSSE in Albuquerque who knows stuff that never made it to the FE
handbook...

-Pete
-----
Peter L. Wargo