[SunRescue] Re: SS2 running headless

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 03:59:48 CST 2001

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

"Ken Hansen" <n2vip at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> >From what you say, they had consoles, but not dedicated consoles. The
> original poster was talking about a machine with no user I/O, just ethern=
et
> access. That is nice, but acces to the machine over another port (serial
> console, dedicated tube/keys/mouse, or other) is, at the least, *suggeste=
d*
> isn't it?

This is only a home machine, and all the important stuff on it - my mail
and DNS - has off-site secondaries.  You're right though, it is certainly
a good idea to have something other than ethernet available, especially if
you're relying on the machine, but that's simply not an option - and neither
is it important - at the moment.

> Every machine doesn't need a dedicated console, I am 100% with everyone on
> that, but a console connected to a KVM, a serial console connected to a
> smart serial switch, or other is a reasonable minimum.

My primary concern right now is freeing up some desk space.  Getting rid of
the Sun monitor and keyboard will give me room to shuffle a few things arou=
nd
and bring my Indy back in to service.  I'll worry about getting a serial
cable when I need one :-)

--=20
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

   Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q--