Resignation letter (was Re: [SunRescue] The Question.)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 21:21:09 CST 2001

I see that there are much question regarding resignation and employment.  May be I can help here since the laws are on your side.

1.  Most of employmement relationships are at-will.  What this mean is that either employer or employee is free to terminate the relationship at any time without any advance obligations.
2.  The only issue arise is confidentiality and invitable disclosure.  I assume most of us working for tech company would have some sort of patent assigment or confidentiality.  Most of these however does not standup in court because of its terms and condition.  Since most company wants to protect themself to the max they end up with what legal term called UNCONSCIENABLE OR OVERREACHING OR RESTRAIN OF TRADE.   California and most state are in favor of employee when a company prevent employee from practicing its trade.
3.  Most of the time, company or employee give notice with some time as matter of courtesy rather than laws.  Dont burn your bridges as they say.  After all, many of us would like to have some sort of positive reference in the future and the last thing a company need is bad publicity.
4.  As far as resigning from the company, I would advice people to keep the resignation as brief as possible without any praise, negative etc. since these will be in your file for certain amount of year required by laws.  Guess what, your employment file can be requested under court order.  If you ever involved in legal case where your info can be used, you certainly want to have as less info of why you reside as possible.
5.  Not disclose in writting does not mean that you should take step to conceal.  If you are comfortable to tell your colleague or boss IF ASKED about your next career move by all mean tell them.  Otherwise, just tell them that you would like to keep in touch and will contact them upon settling in.

I hope the info could be some help to you all.

Good Luck
Paul