[SunRescue] NetBSD install via a serial console

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 14:01:56 CST 2001

On 9 Feb 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> On 08 Feb 2001 09:52:12 +0000, Dave Reader wrote:
> >
> > The most recent install I've done was NetBSD 1.5 using the new Sysinst
> > tool - that makes this part of the process much much easier, so that might
> > be worth a look..
> >
> > Oh, if you run out of space on your disk while installating with sysinst,
> > it does funny things which kill minicom with signal 11 (!!) strange.
>
> I started this a couple of weeks ago, when did 1.5 arrive.  Is the vi
> editing of slices gone in this one?  Thanks,

I've had 1.5 lying around here for a few weeks now - just spotted it and
grabbed the ISO one day.

You can alter existing slices without using vi with sysinst.. it's a bit
more like fdisk - I had to make my /usr slice a bit bigger than the
default so that it didn't run out of space during the install.

$ df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       31621    27439     2600    91%    /
/dev/sd0g      132271   100862    24795    80%    /usr
kernfs              1        1        0   100%    /kern
$ uname -a
NetBSD ipcnet.undone.lan 1.5 NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC) #1: Wed Nov 29 00:29:52
MET 2000     root at flambard:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC sparc

That's got base, compiler, manpages on it - just the original 200Mb disk.

IIRC i stole the extra space i needed from the swap slice - that machine
doesn't do much :)

dave.