[SunRescue] OT:VPN WAN's

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 09:35:12 CST 2001

I'm not a security or VPN or WAN expert, but I've dabbled in all 3.  Having
said that;

Using the public net as a transport for your critical IS stuff seems fraught
with .. not danger, perhaps, but a bit of risk.  There isn't any one person
you can go to if MAE West is not sending your packets on,  or if things just
seem a bit slow.  If you spend the money on a frame relay, you have one
vendor, and a dedicated circuit.

I dunno, but from dealing with the decision makers at my company, I'd bet
that your guys gulped at the cost of the frame relay, and decided that if
each site/business unit pays for the cost of their own ISP and connection,
it eases the cost a bit.  My intuition is that the cost of 200 sites paying
for their own connection, plus associated hassle, equals or exceeds the cost
of a frame relay circuit.

Had you considered an alternate, like yipes!?  They run Ethernet over fiber,
costs seem comparable.

brian