[SunRescue] NetBSD install via a serial console

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 8 03:52:12 CST 2001

On 7 Feb 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Anybody out there made this work?  I've gotten so to the point where it
> tosses me into 'vi' to edit the disk label, but I don't know how to fill
> in about half of the fields.  I've looked around at www.netbsd.org and
> talked to the people I know who run it locally, but I can't seem to
> figure it out.  Thanks,

Yes. I've not done one without a serial console yet :)

I'd have to look at one to remind myself what goes where, but you're going
to need to know the disk geometry etc.

Are you trying to actually describe the disk (eg, if it is a fresh disk
which doesnt already have a sun disklabel) or just to alter the
partitions/slices?

The most recent install I've done was NetBSD 1.5 using the new Sysinst
tool - that makes this part of the process much much easier, so that might
be worth a look..

Oh, if you run out of space on your disk while installating with sysinst,
it does funny things which kill minicom with signal 11 (!!) strange.

d.