[SunRescue] OpenBSD boot floppy DOA

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 15:10:39 CST 2001

Problem:
Have SPARCstation 1+
Have hard disk that works, finally.
Have entire OpenBSD SPARC v. 2.8 distibution copied to my x86 box,
ready for ftp install over ethernet.

Had absolutely no luck making an OpenBSD boot floppy from
floppy28.fs via rawrite on an x86. (The x86 in question is still
running winblows, because it is a laptop with an xfree86-UNsupported
video chipset.)

I know my floppy drive works. Not only does OpenBoot say it
"appears to be OK", but the RedHat install floppy boots
trouble free. But I don't want to run Linux, I want to run OpenBSD!
I made the RedHat boot floppy on the same machine with the same
copy of rawrite I used to make the numerous disfunctional OpenBSD
floppies from two different downloads of floppy28.fs

I am using "boot fd()" to boot from the RedHat disk,
I tried "boot fd()bsd" as suggested in the OpenBSD
INSTALL.sparc file.

I get something like:
Cant read disk label
Cant read ...
Boot failed

When I try "boot fd()" with OpenBSD, I get a message about
a file called "bootxx" or possibly a lack thereof.

"I think it's kinda the same, but darker."
-TBWP I

 \   |
   \ | /
    \|/