[SunRescue] jumpstarting salvaged SS10s

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 5 20:58:40 CST 2001

	My friend salvaged 4 SS10s and we took the best of them to form two
machines, one dual SM41 64MB 2x1GB and one single SM41 48MB 2x1GB. The fourth
machine had to have a SM40 =( We tried installing solaris on them, as the
machines are too slow to bother using as linux boxes when we have our x86
machines, but the cdrom we had was toast it seemed. We got our debian boxes
to do rarpd and tftpd pretty quickly, but we aren't quite sure how to do a
net install of Solaris. The sun guru I know told us to use a jumpstart server,
but that would require a working sun machine if we were to do it the sun way.
Debian installed pretty damn quickly on these boxes when we got frustrated w/
Solaris (grabs kernel+root.bin from tftp, and everything else from http), but
then I found a reference to somebody building jumpstart servers on NetBSD
boxes. I'm not quite sure what being a jumpstart server entails, but can
somebody point me to a HOWTO to manually set one up? I'm not that comfortable
yet with the Sun documentation resources.
	I have the ISO of the Solaris 8 install cd, and can get 2.6 if needed.

	Tugrul Galatali