[SunRescue] OT: Irix installation on bare machine

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 5 04:54:05 CST 2001

>You know it's bad when you pull the
>drive out of the machine and it's too hot to touch right
Right.  Burnt myself something shocking when pulling a failed baracuda
drive
out of a multipack 'cos it was making an awful noise in probably the
most
noisy computer room I've ever been in.  Lucky I didn't drop it 'cos I
don't
think Sun would have replaced it had they seen the impression it would
have
left in the floor!

>Never think that folks, it brings the wrath of
>the computing gods down upon your head.
Walk carefully and make sure you have a big stick.

I've never read the documentation, just followed some guides on the www.

>It seems that the only way to do a bare install involves selecting every
>package on my 15 disk set by hand, inserting all of the CD's one at a time,
>and resolving every conflict and dependency issue manually, one at a time.
I think there is some way you can set up an install server (a la
jumpstart).

>Ok... I thouhgt to myself "I can do that, how many packages and dependencies
>can there be?". Whoa unto me the moron who mocs the computing gods twice in
>one night. Anyway to make a long story even longer I gave up after about an
>hour of "conflict resolution".
Well I've "observed" 3 installations of Irix and only one of them
produced
no conflicts after shuffling all 15 something CDs through the drive
(thank
God for the slot loading Pioneer 24x CD drive).  Subsequent attempts
have not
had the same success; why couldn't the CD's have been left in the
correct order
after the first time the install was done?  Before you ask, yes, I did
mutter
something along the lines of "shit, this is easy, no conflicts at all".

>Can anyone help me here? The machine is an 02, one disk, 128megs RAM, Irix
>6.5 with overlays.
Sorry, but it's back with the Gods now.  Perhaps someone else can
provide the
secret and magical order that CDs need to be fed to the higher beings
that
inhabit our SGI hardware?  If I ever am party to such an installfest
again, I'll
even volunteer to document the process.

Rob