[SunRescue] Salvaging a big case to use as drive enclosure?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 4 01:13:20 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, February 3, 2001 at 20:53:11 (-0500), David Rouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Salvaging a big case to use as drive enclosure?
>
> The lights that I expect to see are on, including the lights on the HDs, the
> LCD backlight, the rear power indicator lamp and all those noisy fans are
> running (two power supplies and two big fans in the case). But thanks, it is
> a good thing to check. I've also stepped through Apple's own checklist for
> this beast (found a guy who has an enthusiasts site with a bunch of pdf
> files and Apple website screen shots) to no avail.
>
> And I get the same symptoms (i.e. everything powers up but no POST tests)
> when I yank the CPU card.

Yup, you're right -- it does sound like the CPU's stopped spinning....

(Most drives will light up with only +5 -- but if the fans are turning
then you've likely got +12 too.  I don't think the 604 needs any other
voltages, but I might be mistaken and I haven't checked any data sheets.
The -12 probably only drives the serial ports and such....)

> And gosh, I had forgotten how small those Moto 604
> chips were. I might have a good lead on a cheap CPU card, however. Apple
> sold some 200 MHz upgrade cards and a Mac reseller still has a few left. I
> do like the poor old thing, and five years seems a short lifespan when I've
> seen a 4/670 do ten or more.

Good luck with finding and using the replacement!

I've got a couple of friends locally with these monsters and at least
one of them's older than yours I think.  They really like them, and I
know I'd take one if I could find one!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>