[SunRescue] SparcstationIPC

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 1 10:02:52 CST 2001

> >>Alternatively I could probably get hold of a bigger scsi drive, does
> >>anyone know what size drive an IPC can support?
>
> Anything that will fit in the cakebox.  The catch is that the / partition
> must be in the first 2gig of the drive or the machine will not boot from it.
> If I were to put in a large drive I'd usually make a 2gig / and the rest
> /usr - minus swap of course.  Although you'll find that people will argue
> partitioning almost as much as they argue which distro to use. ;-)

I'm about to do the same thing as Dan (IPC+new HD+Debian) with two IPCs.
Couldn't get anywhere trying to boot Linux on a very old IBM RS/6000 40p
lacking any OS, so the IBM will donate its 500M + 1G drives to a pair of IPCs.
 (Is this a cross species organ transplant? :^) )

Wouldn't heat be a major limiting factor in the itty-bitty IPC box?

  REF: http://www.obsolyte.com/sun_ipx/ulti_fan_hack/

-- regards, SP