[rescue] the Last DPS-9/CP6 system is now offline.

Michael Thompson rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 08:07:23 CST 2001

What do you mean only a DPS-8?

We ran 240 Honeywell synchronous terminals, about 100 remote printers, 30
timesharing users, and 3 RJE sites on a DPS-8/70 with 2 MB of RAM. It was
heartbreaking when the machine shrunk when we converted from core to MOS
RAM. It was a REALLY big machine when I first started working on it.

It was a dynamically reconfigurable SMP machine 25 years ago!

>[ On Tuesday, December 11, 2001 at 18:50:14 (-0500), Timothy Lawless wrote: ]
>> Subject: [rescue] the Last DPS-9/CP6 system is now offline.
>>
>> I recieved word that "The University of Southern Mississippi"
>> has shutdown and is preparing to sell at public auction
>> (or failing that, trash) a Honeywell/Bull DPS-9 (and some
>> parts from the legacy DPS-8) Running CP6. The only other
>> opperating system that this system could run would be GECOS.
>> (bull.cc.usm.edu)
>
>Hmmm.... what's missing to allow it to run Multics?
>
>I wonder if the Computer Museum History Center needs any parts to keep
>DOCKMASTER running....  (www.computerhistory.org)  It was "only" a
>DPS-8, but....
>								Greg A. Woods
>
>+1 416 218-0098;  <gwoods at acm.org>;  <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;