[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 16:22:43 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:05:26PM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:

> I've got an opportunity to get 2 DEC 3000 bases for $50 each. I need to
> know:

woo!

> * How to tell what's in them by visual inspection (processor speed,
> goodies, etc).

look for a model number on the back.  although i think even the lowly /300 is
well worth $50.

> * How to get one running headless (maybe... didn't look for monitors or
> keyboards).

they have TurboChannel for framebuffers, or you can run them headless.  i run
my /300LX headless, and my /700 will have a gfx card in it.

> * Anything else to look for.

see if they have any neat cards in the expansion slots.  FDDI would be very
nice for me. :)

> * Is this even a decent deal?

i think so.  maybe pushing the limit of good deal for the /300, but for any of
the others, definitely.  these are cool boxes.

> I could see that one was fully loaded with RAM, the other only had a
> couple of SIMMS, and both had some form of processor on board (alpha 21064
> came standard according to the NetBSD page, but there is a big honking
> heat sink in the way).

they all use 21064 CPUs, the only thing that changes is cache size and clock
speed.  if you could get a model number on them, it's easy to look up what
they have in them.  i'd say go for it.  you've got at least one with some good
amount of ram in it at the very least.  i personally love these boxes.  it's
most likely a good deal.

-brian