[rescue] sunrays>

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 10:14:07 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 07:55:48AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> Pardon my cluelessness....
> But what is a Sunray?
> Is it a fancy Xterm?

Basically.  Kinda like a citrix terminal for a Sun box.

> I believe they have no local storage and not much ram. Is this true?

Yep.  Not useful at all without the SunRay software running on another
machine.

> Do they run apps locally or on the server.

Server.  They're basically a remote framebuffer, keyboard, and audio I/O.

> Is the server software "available", "gotta dish out cash for it" or End Of
> Life"?

EOL?  I dont think its more than a year old. 8-)  I've got copies, and
other people on here do too.  In fact, I've got a Sun Ray 1 sitting here
(the kind that requires a separate monitor) that I havent used yet..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net