[rescue] Mac Appliance

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 09:19:39 CDT 2001

>I think it is more than that.
>
>Probably closer to 30 or more, considering that:
>
>CDC 6600 (designed by Seymour Cray) designed in mid-60's had shared
memory,
>extensible architecture to 4 or more CPUs - Intel has had a hard time
even
>designing chipsets that drive 2 CPUs well; and MSFT is slowly figuring
out
>how to write SMP code...

Home PC's don't need SMP. NT has been doing SMP for years. For that
matter let's beat down NetBSD and OpenBSD because AFAIK, they don't
have SMP support yet.

>1986 - NeXT computer - custom ASICs (2) that greatly increase the
throughput
>of the slow 68030 chip in the machine - why the heck can't Intel do
this on
>their mobo's and chipset?  Instead, we get WinModems...

Hrm, so graphics accelerators like Geforce don't count? Nor sound
accelerators like SB Live? Intel CPUs are so stinking powerful that
they can simply brute force everything. God, that NeXT, they would
never put no hardware in a device and make the CPU do all the work
would they? Never, they'd never do anything like that. Wait, they did,
NeXT Laser Printer.

>Doug Engelbart showed off stuff in what, 1968?  that only now is stuff
we
>can do with commercial systems, sorta

I'm not old/clued enough to catch the reference.

>Memory protection - invented in the 60s.  Does WinME have it?  Nope.

I thought 9x had partial memory protection but I may be wrong. Does
PalmOS have memory protection?

I'm CCing this to geeks cause....

Mike