[rescue] web server loadbalancing...

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 13:44:53 CDT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Oh?  I'm all ears... (and please dont say "round robin DNS", because that
> only works if none of your machines ever go down..)

Round robin DNS.  Border box in front of servers running ipnat.  Big
Brother (or similar) system to hit webservers with sample requests and
tell the NAT box to RDR their IP to a working system if one conks out.
For added fun the NAT boxes can be made redundant, as per-connection state
is not an issue.

Simple, proven technology.  The ipnat round robin RDR support is unproven
but potentially "cleaner".

-James