[rescue] What to do about fuzzy screens?

James Fogg rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 08:24:45 CDT 2001

Once upon a time in a land far away, a young lad was carrying a color TV (sans
cabinet) out of the local junkyard. He had planned to scavange it for parts.
All of a sudden he felt something akin to a good punch in the jaw. He awoke
some time later. It was dark and raining. His jaw hurt. There was a recently
broken TV chassis scattered on the ground.

Some time later he leaned about the capacitive storage of CRT's, the
many thousands of volts present in the envelope and the tendency for voltage to
seek ground. He remembered his day in the junkyard and wondered.

I still sweat the details around CRT's.

On Wed, 01 Aug 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:47:57PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >   Most monitors have [internally] accessible focus pots...Look for a
> > shaft sticking out of the side of te flyback assembly.  Normal
> > high-voltage rules apply...keep one hand behind your back, etc etc.
>
> I'm going to be replacing the caps in an arcade monitor's chassis next
> week, and I think it's well worth the small investment in a discharge
> tool (or a properly rigged screwdriver) to go ahead and discharge
> monitors 3 or 4 times before doing anything else.  Of course, the usual
> high-voltage rules still apply after discharge, just to be safe.
>
> Reagen
	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!