[SunRescue] RE: Support your local SS/5

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 09:47:39 CDT 2001

An SS/5 w/64 Meg of RAM and a remote file system (is that /usr or /home user directory that is remote?) or two, is not a very robust machine, IMHO, esp. if you are running a current version of Solaris - 128 Meg is a much better place for Solaris 7/8...

I have an SS/5-110 at home,and while it is no speed demon, it is a reasonable box for most uses. Of course, it has a nice, big, 4 Gig HD of recent vintage (local FS), as well as 184 Meg RAM (5x 32 Meg and 3x 8 Meg)...

Remember also, like a PC, the limiting factor for many "common" user tasks may very well be the graphics card. Staroffice will feel slow if the screen updates slowly - the CPU will spend a lot of time waiting for the graphic system to catch up, for example...

Ken