[SunRescue] Re: Two Ill Ultra 1's

Goldarg rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 00:39:16 CDT 2001

 >I have seen the Red State Eception show up when bad RAM was in a system.
 >It is also a symtom of a bad CPU. Make sure the CPU fan is good. If not
it may
 >have litterally baked it's self to death.

Ouch, that's what I had feared, the CPU fan is totally dead and doesn't
spin up unless it gets a lot of help.

 >As for the scsi showing on every ID it sounds like somebody has set the
jumpers on the drive to ID 7 which is the same ID >as the controller.
 >Mike N

  The drive is un-jumpered and according to the docs that came with it ( a
single sheet of paper printed double sided) that should default to ID 0.

I tried forcing it to an ID by jumpering it but I don't remember what the
outcome was, It didn't work how I expected anyway.

I'll check tomorrow when I get in to work, the Solaris 8 install should be
done by then
(I don't know what speed cd drive the Ultra 1 has in it but I do know its a
lot faster than the external drive we have for older
boxes and boxes without cd's, I swear it took 20 minutes just to boot off
the cd to fix a password file with a solaris 8 cd)