[SunRescue] Suburban Wireless?

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 23 22:40:13 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, mike dombrowski wrote:

> Hello all, I've toyed with the idea for a while and now I've found
> people foolish/stupid/crazy enough to try it with me, a wireless
> 802.11b network between our houses. Most of the points would be within
[...]

	Just a comment... if you found people whacky enough to do this, why
not just run some cheap spools of CAT5 from house to house. It almost sounds
like you are the only houses in the area, or close to (I just skimmed the email
so don't shoot me if I missed something). I don't think anyone would notice or
seriously care if you have some cable dangling from tree to tree. It doesn't
have the cool factor, and you can't walk around outside with a laptop (at least
not that far from the house), but its faster and can't be more expensive...
	The maximum run on ether is 1500 meters no? That should allow a minimum
of repeaters (are their pure repeaters or do you just get a hub?) on a area of
1-2 km with scattered houses.
	Just my 2 cents...

	Tugrul Galatali