DSL stuff (was Re: [SunRescue] Re: Help!)

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 21 00:31:44 CDT 2001

>In my experience, for home users the problem is not routing per se, but
>the PPPoE protocol some of us unfortunate DSL subscribers are stuck
>with. The rp-pppoe daemon can easily bring a 486DX or a sun4c SPARC to
>its knees. (My IPX with powerup won't do more then 50KB/sec over my

I've seen better than 70 kB/sec though PPPoE (roaring penguin, linux, on a
486-33).  Seems like it's using about 30-40% cpu.  No, wait...just
checked...at a sustained 73 kB/sec, cpu utilization is up to 67-69%.  Wow,
that's worse than I remembered.

I've got my Speedstream 5260 DSL modem plugged into the hub, and a single
nic in the 486.  Seems like most people run two nics--one for the LAN and
one for the DSL modem--could that make a difference?  (Hmmm...have I
created some monster security hole by allowing the modem access to my LAN?)

newell