[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 19:39:34 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 15:37:30 (-0700), Devin L. Ganger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Re: Help!
>
> > BTW, on at least recent NetBSD machines the answer is quite simple:
> >
> > 	less /var/run/dmesg.boot
>
> I think you missed a statement there, Greg.

No, I don't think so.  Lots of people don't seem to know about that file
(and I don't think it's properly documented anywhere in some releases,
though it is now listed in dmesg(8) on NetBSD).

The first few lines of output from the boot up live a whole lot longer
in /var/run/dmesg.boot than in /kern/msgbuf (i.e. than the output from
"dmesg" itself), or even in any file written to by syslog.  It's also
very much harder to avoid having that file written to on boot than it is
to screw up syslog, etc.

The only time I've missed some output from the boot in that file is when
some kernel process spews too much junk before the /etc/rc scripts get
far enough to run "dmesg > /var/run/dmesg.boot", which coincidentally
just happened again on my old 486 laptop because the APM kernel thread
complains about some unknown response code every two seconds or so and
that'll fill /kern/msgbuf long before fsck finishes.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>