[SunRescue] Help!

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 23:34:38 CDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:25:31PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good, *NON-LINUX-HOWTO* page that
> explains what IP masquerading is, what its used for, and
> advantages?  I'm trying to explain this to my client that
> needs a VPN / CIFS server / firewall setup (I'm going to use a PPro180
> Linux box, dual network cards, PoPToP, IPFW, and Samba),
> but he's having a hard time grasping the concept of putting
> all his machines on a private network behind the server.
>
> If I can find a web page (so far all I can find is Linux IPMASQ
> howtos) with diagrams, etc, that would be helpful.

The OpenBSD ipnat man pages are very clear and concise.  They don't have
much in the way of diagrams, though.

Why not check out OpenBSD btw?

Also look at ipfilter.org and click on the second link you see for a
diagram.

Isn't the main point that since the NAT addresses are not routable, that the
chances of intrusion are much much smaller?  The first router the packet
hits will drop anything in 192.168.x.x .

I guess I am lucky, since my clients just expect whatever I do for them to
work.  They don't want me to explain it to them :-)

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net