[SunRescue] G3 upgrade for PowerMac 7300

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 22:50:53 CDT 2001

I don't know.  I've done a lot of programming on Sparcs, and I know their
assembly (I didn't know it, but then I was paid to tutor someone in it so
I read a few specs).  While I like Sparcs, some how it just feels wrong
except under Solaris, *BSD, or linux.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact
that the ones I'm used to put out great bursts of speed but rather slug
along constantly regaurdless of load.  I'd be quite sad to see Apple go to
Sparcs (or Sun to go to PPCs).

In general, other than Intel, I'd be sad to see any system jump from
platform to another.  The thought of anything but MIPS in SGI is repulsive
as is the thought of MacOSX on Mips.

Perhaps I'm just being too sentimental.  After, NeXTStep on Sparc was
decent (and I'm told that PA Risc was also really good).

Actually, come to think of it, the only "current" cpu that I have no
assembly level experience with is the PA-Risc machines.

P.S. didn't there used to be a Solaris port of Photoshop back in the 3.0
or 2.5 days?

--
Joshua Boyd