[SunRescue] G3 upgrade for PowerMac 7300

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 21:17:31 CDT 2001

>> Last word from the Darwin crew was sometime after snowballs spend a
>> night in hell. :(  The power just isn't there.  And I'm starting to
>> believe them...

DM>   Hmm, that's funny.  The 604e-based machines sure had enough power
DM> for heavy-hitters like Photoshop.  Why can't they run this new
DM> operating system?

DM>   It's a design choice to purposely ignore an entire class of
DM> a-model-line-old-but-nowhere-near-obsolete machines.  Nothing more.

That's especially funny and true since the internals of OSX are BSD in nature
which can be made to run on just about anything.  NetBSD as an
example. Although admittedly a less "showy" one than OSX.

I'm betting someone else will port it to the older machines.  IIRC
there's already talk of a port in the works for Intel but that may just be the
fogginess in my brain.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net