[SunRescue] Re: Re: wtb: PCI ethernet for UltraSPARC

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 08:05:00 CDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 01:41:55AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> > I've had good luck with Znyx (www.znyx.com) cards. Their ZX34?Q series are
> > supported with an add-on driver in Solaris for SPARC as znb# interfaces,
> [...]
> > They're DEC Tulip based cards, so you can use them in about any other OS
> [...]
>
> If they're DEc-Tulip based couldn't someone conceivable snag other DEC
> Tulip based cards and use the znyx.com drivers on a Sun box?

I think there is a firmware difference... used to be that Znyx had two
series of cards, a ZX34_ and a ZX34_Q, and only the Q supported Solaris.

I haven't looked lately, but last year it was getting hard to find a true
Tulip card anymore. However, that might be something worth trying anyway.
:)

The older Znyx 10base combo cards are going for $5 at the swaps around
here, and usually the guys who sell them have dozens. I have some around
here somewhere and might be able to try one out in a U5. That could be
pretty nifty. Even if the ZX345 works, they're about $20 locally.
(apparently ZX345 is supported on 2.6 and 7, but not 8).

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows