[SunRescue] G3 upgrade for PowerMac 7300

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 15 23:18:00 CDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:45:50PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Odd, I've had very good luck.  Even with the x100 series (nubus), g3
> upgrades work well.  A 7300 with a ZIF-card CPU upgrade is pretty cool...
> Add in a good PCI video card, a SCSI card, and it's not a bad system at
> all...
> -pete

And I"ve got a brand new copy of OSX here, waiting on them to add support
for 3rd-party G3 upgrade cards (I've heard rumors that they may eventually
"backport" OSX to the 604e-based PCI macs as well, after some speed
improvements).

Why do I have a 7300 instead of a blue and white G3 (a system I would
dearly KILL for; I had a 350Mhz blueberry iMac and loved it, except for
the screen size) - I have a "client" that I do some occasional web work
for, and we ran into problems where what I saw with MSIE/Netscape on
Windows or Solaris didnt render pages like IE on his Mac did - so he
sent me his old 7300/180.  It should run OS9 (which I got a copy of
with OSX) just fine and dandy, but I'd rather have a G3 in it.

I've heard that the 7300 uses the same case as the desktop beige
G3, so maybe if I can just find a motherboard....

I'd be willing to give up body parts for a 300Mhz blue and white
G3 tower, tho.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford