[SunRescue] SS2 and OS

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 17:36:46 CDT 2001

Simeon Johnston wrote:

> Will the SS2 boot from cdrom?  I can get a cdrom that boots a SS10.

In my experience yes, It may be dependant on PROM version though.
And it does require a CD-ROM that will read CD in 512 byte block sizes. If
you can get the Drive that boots the ss10. It will certainly meet that
requirement.

> Does the SS2 take a standard floppy?  Can I take one from a x86 machine and
> use it?

Don't think so, But don't take my word for it.
Sun's seem to resemble Mac floppys though.
I want to know about this too.

> Will the SS2 console port plug strait into a mac?

I have used a mac modem cable (miniDIN8-DB25) with a null modem adapter on
the 25 pin side. That works great with zTerm on all the Macs I've tried.

(Aside) I'm still trying to find out why NO ipx will communicate with my
Mac, yet I can get it to work fine on a PC. (Rules out Bad Openboot
settings, Bad Serial Ports, etc.) All Pizzaboxes I've used DO communicate
fine with the Mac though.

Here's a coupla links.

http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/serial/