[SunRescue] Xyplex MAXserver 1608 Terminal Servers

John Duksta rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 10:24:59 CDT 2001

At 06:00 AM 4/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as John Duksta exclaimed:
>
>>One hitch with them, tho'. If you're going to be using them
>>for console access to your Sun boxen, make sure that you change
>>the 'break' character to something other than break. Like most
>>terminal servers, when you kill/lose power to it, as the serial
>>controller chip powers down, it can often send a break which
>>will halt your Sun.
>
>Anybody have any idea how to do this?  For this is *exactly* my intended
>purpose.

Yeah, IIRC, you have to apply a patch to 2.6 and 7 and then edit
/etc/default/kbd.
I think 8 comes with the patch applied and then you just have to do the edit.

>>Also, you're going to learn to hate that DEC-like command syntax:
>>"set port 2 flow-control rts-cts on"
>
>Yes!  The CLI is HORRID!!  I suppose these things were made back before
>everybody had decided to make their syntax "IOS-like."[1]  Even if they
>had a syntax similar to Livingston PortMasters it would be a vast
>improvement. The ULI doesn't seem to be very Unix-like, either, with maybe
>the exception of "ifconfig -a."

Well, Xyplex was founded by a pair of ex-DEC employees, so it's no
small coincidence that the CLI is DEC-like.

>Maybe somebody will port NetBSD to one of these things.  I mean,  what is
>it that they say "Of course it runs NetBSD!"

Hmmm... could be a possibility... they do run a M68K processor and I would
imagine that the ethernet and serial hardware is all pretty standard.

-john