[SunRescue] SS2 and OS

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 07:59:56 CDT 2001

Regarding reviving a headless SS2 ...

> I don't even know if it will work but it's worth a try.  I will have to
> get a new scsi drive.  The one in it now is a Micropolis ( My_what a
> piece of_CrapItIs ).  We bought 15 of these drives and every one off
> them died within a year.  Unfortuanetelly the company also went out of
> buiseness at the same time.

I've been installing used Seagate Barracudas, IBM Ultrastars, and older IBM
drives into SS IPCs (similar vintage to SS2) and an SS10.  These drives run
about $10 per gigabyte on eBay.  I prefer IBM SCSI (and IDE, elsewhere) drives
because they are not too noisy and they seem not to generate too much heat.

> I know very little about sparcs ( that's why I joined the list ) so bear
> with me and my inane questions.

SunRescue was very helpful in getting me up to speed.

-- enjoy the adventure, SP