[SunRescue] Re: starter system (future purchase)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 16:03:01 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, James Lockwood wrote:

> I agree 100%.  My contention was with the appropriate choice for someone
> with $500-600 in their pocket.  U5/270's with RAM are in this neighborhood
> now.  [...]
>
> U5's are probably the cheapest "ghetto fileservers"  around.  PCI UW SCSI
> cards are very cheap for the bandwidth and number of devices which can be
> attached.

Yeah, very true. Does anyone know if the Mylex PCI raid cards work under
Solaris/SPARC? I know they're supported under Solaris/x86, and the older
1/2/3 channel wide scsi cards with cache are showing up around here for
$100, just add VHDI cables and external arrays and you've got buttkicking
performance.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows