[SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 13:32:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Chris Byrne wrote:

> It has a towing capacity of up to 8800 lbs, and a cargo capacity of 1000
> lbs, however legally speaking in order to be a light truck and not require a
> special drivers license, the truck, trailer, and cargo together cannot weigh
> more than 10,500 lbs if they are travelling on public roads.

One very useful reason for the noncommercial class-A license.

> Note: this is the second smallest of fords "light" trucks. The largest is
> the excursion I mentioned earlier at 7500 lbs. The pickup truck version of
> that monster, the F-350 Super Duty, has a 2,000lb cargo capacity, and can
> tow up to 14,500 lbs. Many companies use them to pull long haul over the
> road trailers around parking lots or loading docks. THey are alsu used as
> tow trucks for buses or long haul trucks.

If I were towing an 18-wheeler, I'd much rather have a medium truck like
the F-550 or IH Loadstar.  The increase in wheelbase and suspension
improvements make a real difference.

> In the US light trucks are exempt form most emissions, safety, and fuel

The 6000lb GVWR emissions cap was lifted in 1978.  CAFE regs (finally
changing, thank goodness) have been the big reason behind manufacturers
pushing SUV's.

-James