[SunRescue] Re: 4.5 gig drive in 386i?

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 12:48:43 CDT 2001

--------------15A1FC3686C16E7A99FD1881

Used to run a newserver running either 4.1.2 or 4.1.3 that was able to use a 9GB
(max 4GB slices, though).

Ed

Chris Powell wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:15:31 +0100, Peter Joules wrote:
>
> > Can I use a 4.5gig Seagate Barracuda drive in my 386i?  It will fit
> > physically as it has a 50 pin interface but will the machine handle it?  If
> > not then can I use it in my Sun 3?  I am short of working drives for the
> > 386i and there is one of these listed (at present cheap) on e-bay in the UK
> > at the moment.
>
> IIRC SunOS 4.0.2/.3 (and up to 4.1.1 at least) could only use drives to
> 1G CAPACITY - any more than this and the drive would loop back on itself -
> fill the *drive* over 1G and it starts writing to the first 1G again!
> I'm pretty sure this wasn't just partitions, but applied to the drive
> capacity itself. Not sure if 4.1.1_U1 (or third-party) updates sorted
> this - certainly don't know if SunOS for 386i was done.
>
> You could use the 4.5GB disc, just format it as 1G.
>
> > If this is not any use then what is the maximum size drive which I can use?
>
> I'm using a 424MB in mine - plenty for the OS, other stuff served from
> a SS10. This isn't one of the supported 386i drives.
>
> On the subject of 386is. I can't get my 386i to boot without it resetting
> the date to the last shutdown time - I believe this is a y2k issue. I get
>
> TOD clock not initialised -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE
>
> Setting the year to 1999 and the machine boots and keeps the date set
> OK. Setting to 1/1/2000 (hacking the NVRAM or letting the date roll-over)
> or later, a later boot will set the date back to the last shutdown (even
> if it's 2000 or later). I then use rdate from a SS10 to set the date
> correctly. This isn't really a huge problem (I don't use the 386i much),
> but if anyone has any ideas....
>
> Chris.

--------------15A1FC3686C16E7A99FD1881

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J962;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate