[SunRescue] dual-head SS1 challenge

Paul E Coad rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 30 20:38:35 CST 2000

I have been trying to add a second fb/monitor to my SS1.  The first monitor
works without a problem.  It is hooked up to a dual-wide cg6.  But the second
one (19" grayscale (365-1154)) just displays very light bouncing horizontal
lines.

After grepping the web for some specs on the monitor it appears to be
1152x900 at 76.  I have tried both cg6 (both single and double wide) and tgx
fbs without any luck.  In fact the tgx seems to make the system not even
get far enough to boot.  The prom level is reported as 1.1 on the boot banner.
I have tried making the monitor the primary display and using the setenv
output-device at the ok prompt and the eeprom command described in the fb
faq.  Everything results in wavy lines.

I suspect that it it is a frequency problem, but I suspect that a boot-prom
update will be required.  I'm running 4.1.4 on this machine.

Any suggestions or ideas?  Replacing this machine with a newer model
(like a SS2) is possible if that is likely to help.

Thanks,

--paul