[SunRescue] Q: SS/20 fan kit, other...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 30 08:56:39 CST 2000

Hello all,

My SS/20 auction special arrived over the weekend, and I have a few
additional questions:

	Does Sun still supply internal fan kits for SS/20s upon request? I
seem to recall
	it was tied to the serial number of the unit, but I don't know if
this is still available.

	My system has a 4 Meg VSIMM, I have seen references that make me
think
	I can add a second VSIMM, but that makes no sense (MB only has one
13W3
	connector) - can I? Was there an SBUS card that carried a second
13W3 out
	of the box to support dual-headed operation?

	This system appears to have been an embedded system - when these
units were
	new (1995), was a VSIMM cheaper than a 24 bit SBUS card? I am
wondering why
	the folks that spec'd this system decided to go for the VSIMM
framebuffer...

	Is the internal framebuffer (4 Meg VSIMM) supported by the open OSs
(linux,
	*BSD, etc.) at 24 bit depth, or do I have to run Solaris to take
advantage of the
	framebuffer?

	How well do the open OSs (Linux, *BSD, etc.) support SMP on
SuperSPARCs?

	How pokey is an SM50 in relation to an SM41 or an SM51? I don't know
what I
	will use the system for, but I do have an SM41 on the shelf (as well
as 2 SM30s).
	Most likely it will be used for general interactive use and maybe as
a file server.

And on related topics:

	Can an SS/20 CD-ROM be installed in an SS/5 case?

	What size/type drives can be placed in a Sun 911 case? I think I can
get one
	with 4 drive brackets for a decent price.

My SS/20 came w/2 SM50s (no cache :^p), a 4 meg VSIMM and 2x64 Meg DIMMs -
it is home now going through a "smoke test"... It seems that this system was
part of a GE medical device, it has a GE logo on the front of the case, as
well as a sticker over the SparcStation 20 label that reads something like
"Advantage Workstation". I haven't had a chance to review what is on the
"included" CDR (dated 4/99) to see what the unit was originally used for...

I am quite pleased with my "win" - it looks to be a great little system

Thanks in advance,

Ken