[SunRescue] Re: Hard drive testing

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 28 14:29:14 CDT 2000

> > .....  But, the old VAX 3100
> > line prom is quite good at formatting.  Last night I rescued a couple of
> > dead IBM 0662 drives that the RS6K and AIX could not handle.  The VAX just
> > chomped on them in style, and LLfmted them with no errors....
>
> Hurray for the VAX but :
> how do i find a VAX station here in Sweden nowadays ????

I get mine from my university surplus.  If you are around any sort of
university, see what surfaces from the surplus bins there.  Snooping
around things like CompSci depts, Mech/Aerospace depts, Engineering
depts, and that sort of thing should turn up something.  Most of them
are too slow to do anything useful in those departments, so are being
surplussed right and left.  I turned up a couple by just asking around
on local forsale newsfeeds.  Ask around any of the geek compsci crowds,
and something may turn up.  There ought to be lots of them around
Europe, with some digging.  I am not sure if clones were made in the
iron curtain countries, but some VAXen were cloned (probably MVII
class machines mostly from what I gather).  What is the shipping on
50 lbs air freight to Sweden from the USA?

Good Luck

Bob