[SunRescue] Rescueing a SGI Indigo

dago at fpms.ac.be dago at fpms.ac.be
Fri Oct 27 10:13:58 CDT 2000

Hello,

It is slightly off topic but as I can't find any sgihelp.org site or equivalent,
I sent this email on sun-rescue in the case someone already rescued SGI workstation.

<little story>
The computer center of my university give me an SGI Indigo workstation.
The reason was that another department gives it to them a long time ago because it didn't work.
They do (almost) nothing and it takes dust for more than a year.
Then, I ask for it and they agree because at the beginning of next year, it
will go to trash anyway.
</little story>

Then I took it, boot it and after a boot up sequence of 45 minutes (due to long fsck's),
the login screen shows up perfectly ...
(seems wonderfull, no ?)

But (eh eh!), I got no passwords !
not the root one, not the nvram one, not a single user one ...

So, what can I do ?

Info :
It's a nice blue box with SGI Indigo on it and alos a little IRIS.
It is running IRIX 5.2

BTW, if anyone knows how to upgrade it / have manuals or software for IRIX ...
or also have an sgi for his personnal use ...

TIA

thomas