[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net
Wed Oct 25 10:24:15 CDT 2000

>>CE is no better than 9x, and in many ways it's much worse.

I'll second that.  I've used "wince" on my PDA and I really hate it.

>>When comparing PDAs, don't forget that a typical CE machine has
>>a 200 MHz R4400 or equivalent. None of the ARM-based ones have
>>anything less than a StrongARM. All of the old SH3 machines
>>have long since been dropped because CE is just too slow on
>>a 60+ MHz 680x0 clone!

My Uniden PC-100 is a 75mhz MIPS and is "ok" for CE 2.0 but still bogs down
and locks up occasionally.  I wish there was an easy way for me to re-burn
the OS rom.  It's a MIPS chip so I bet I could port Linux MIPS to it.  That
would be really cool!

>>Palms, Psions, and the like are all using much slower CPUs with
>>a much more efficient OS.

Handspring seems to have made the best go of it so far IMHO.  They have a
fairly zippy box that runs anything Palm due to their licensing.  On top of
that they have the Handspring modules.  (*drool* want visor-phone *drool*)
They even seem to have a good battery life.

>>The other side of CE is that its reliability is even worse than 9x.
>>Microsoft's own example code contains workarounds for kernel race
>>conditions by using sleep() calls. The documentation doesn't see
>>anything wrong with this, but does note that it may be necessary
>>to increase the time of the sleep() on newer, faster machines!

Not to mention lockups, program incompatibilities between CPU types, bloated
memory requirements, etc...  I think that CE will hang around for another
few years if that and then be dumped by Microsoft.  Probably during the
breakup.

Just my $.02. ;-)

Mike Hebel