[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Wed Oct 25 09:51:39 CDT 2000

Jonathan Eisch wrote:

> I'm thinking that the replacement to the windows 9x series should be
> windows CE.  I mean, CE will do just about everything that most windows
> 9x users need.

CE is no better than 9x, and in many ways it's much worse.

When comparing PDAs, don't forget that a typical CE machine has
a 200 MHz R4400 or equivalent. None of the ARM-based ones have
anything less than a StrongARM. All of the old SH3 machines
have long since been dropped because CE is just too slow on
a 60+ MHz 680x0 clone!

Palms, Psions, and the like are all using much slower CPUs with
a much more efficient OS.

The other side of CE is that its reliability is even worse than 9x.
Microsoft's own example code contains workarounds for kernel race
conditions by using sleep() calls. The documentation doesn't see
anything wrong with this, but does note that it may be necessary
to increase the time of the sleep() on newer, faster machines!

--m