[SunRescue] Re: Hard drive testing

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 25 09:22:42 CDT 2000

> >> of course there's something weird about it and it won't play nice
> >> with my suns. The vax talks to it though. Weird.)
>
> >Someone once said, ``All the worlds a VAX'' in some sort of connotation.
>
> A negative one! There's a notorious problem of sloppy code that
> works on a VAX failing when ported elsewhere. If you look at
> The Ten Commandments of C by Henry Spencer, numer 10:
>

> 	10. Thou shalt foreswear, renounce, and abjure the vile heresy which
> 	claimeth that 'All the world's a VAX', and have no commerce with the
> 	benighted heathens who cling to this barbarous belief, that the days of
> 	thy program may be long even though the days of thy current machine be
> 	short.

Hey, you found it..... Hooray for Henry!  Classic stuff from long ago,
and good reading for a lighthearted pfutz at C.  But, the old VAX 3100
line prom is quite good at formatting.  Last night I rescued a couple of
dead IBM 0662 drives that the RS6K and AIX could not handle.  The VAX just
chomped on them in style, and LLfmted them with no errors....

Even though Henry was want to take the negative view on the old VAX,
it still does have its uses.....