[SunRescue] Re: Hard drive testing

dave at cca.orgdave dave at cca.orgdave
Tue Oct 24 20:09:52 CDT 2000

bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu writes:

>> I second the vaxstation 3100 for scsi problems recommendation. It
>> has always been very reliable for me. I also put all my removable
>> media scsi devices that give me problems on the vaxstation. I'm
>> not sure why, but I've had better luck with tape drives on that
>> machine than anywhere else. (My exabyte 8mm was "made for IBM" so
>> of course there's something weird about it and it won't play nice
>> with my suns. The vax talks to it though. Weird.)

>Someone once said, ``All the worlds a VAX'' in some sort of connotation.

A negative one! There's a notorious problem of sloppy code that
works on a VAX failing when ported elsewhere. If you look at
The Ten Commandments of C by Henry Spencer, numer 10:

	10. Thou shalt foreswear, renounce, and abjure the vile heresy which
	claimeth that 'All the world's a VAX', and have no commerce with the
	benighted heathens who cling to this barbarous belief, that the days of
	thy program may be long even though the days of thy current machine be
	short.

-------- david fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
---------- never let reason stand in the way of self-confidence ----------