[SunRescue] Well, I got the SS20 - won my auction, anyway...

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 24 18:00:03 CDT 2000

Thanks!

I don't really need the SS/20, but at that price... well, I just couldn't
say no.

The retailer has no idea of VSIMM size, and they claim the system boots to
120 Meg RAM - how could that be right? Maybe the RAM test is set to only
check 120 Meg??? SS/20s only take 16, 32, and 64 Meg DIMMs, right? I can see
128 M (2x64 Meg), 112 M (1x64 Meg, 1x32 Meg, and 1x16 Meg), but how 120 Meg?
(Esp. with what appear to be 2 DIMMs? Woud the VSIMM "steal" memory from the
system (i.e. 2x64 Meg DIMMs, less 8 Meg for an 8 Meg VSIMM)?

I still have no idea baout the processor - it is a superSparc, but that is
all I know at this point... In the pictures for the auction it has a large
heatsink with only *one* bolt, so I think it is a zero-cache device (didn't
units with cache have two bolts?)...

This is gonna be interesting...

Ken